Monday, June 29, 2015

Chocolate Peanut Butter Sheet Cake

I don't know about you but I do not consider myself a very good baker. I don't know what it is...maybe just I'm bad at the timing but baking is not my first love in the kitchen. I would love to rectify that and I do try really hard to get better at it. My mother was a wonderful baker. She could make the best homemade breads you ever tasted. They would fight over her breads at church. I didn't get that gene somehow. My sister Donna did. Guess I couldn't get all the good genes. I did inherit her creativity and for that I am eternally grateful. My mom could do ANYTHING! Oh, how I miss her!

My mom could make the prettiest and tastiest cakes. She could decorate them like a professional. She even made wedding cakes in her home. My cakes are not what I'd call eye candy. I think that is why when I go to make a cake I want to make a sheet cake. A lot easier and I can make one of those look half way decent.

I made this chocolate peanut butter sheet cake back in the winter when I wanted something sweet but didn't want to go to the grocery store. I happened to have all the ingredients at home to make it. Boy was I pleasantly surprised...it is a very yummy cake! I hope you enjoy it!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
2 c. all purpose flour
2 c. sugar
1 t. baking soda
½ t. salt
1 c. water
½ c. butter, cubed
½ c. creamy peanut butter
¼ c. baking cocoa
3 eggs
½ c. sour cream
2 t. vanilla extract

Frosting:
3 c. confectionery sugar
½ c. creamy peanut butter
½ c. milk
½ t. vanilla extract
½ c. chopped peanuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray jelly roll pan with Pam. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small saucepan, combine water, butter, peanut butter and cocoa; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Prepare frosting while cake is baking. In a large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, milk and vanilla until smooth. Remove cake from oven; place on a wire rack. Immediately spread with frosting; sprinkle with peanuts. Cool completely. Yield: 15 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment