Monday, August 2, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes season

I have been on this fried green tomato kick for a couple of weeks and thanks to my wonderful neighbor, Don, he has kept me in some wonderful veggies from his garden, green tomatoes being one of them. I want to share this wonderful batter recipe I found and have used not only on the tomatoes but also on yellow squash...they really turn out crispy. Enjoy!

Cindy's Fried Squash and Green Tomato Batter
(This is enough for a couple of tomatoes or about 8 slices of squash - double if you need more)
1 egg
1/4 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. cornmeal
1/4 c. panko breakcrumbs
1 t. kosher salt
1/8 t. black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying

Whisk eggs and buttermilk together in medium size bowl. Scoop flour onto a plate. Mix cornmeal, panko crumbs, salt and pepper on plate. Dip squash or tomatoes into flour to coat then dip the squash/tomatoes into milk and egg mixture. Dredge in panko mixture to completely coat.

In large skillet pour veggie oil into stainless skillet until hot (put wooden spoon into oil and when there are bubbles around the spoon it is hot enough). Do not crowd them, When they are browned, flip and fry the other side. Drain on paper towels.

Note: If you are using green tomatoes, slice them and put on paper towels and sprinkle with salt and let them sit for awhile...this will help them not be so soggy.

I am still looking for the best dipping sauce for these...I used ranch with the squash and it tasted pretty good. I made an Outback bloomin onion dip for the tomatoes. If anyone out there has a good dipping sauce, please share it with me if you don't mind. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment