Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Own Italian Restaurant?

Yesterday I had a snow day (off work) and was in the mood to cook. As some of my friends and family know I have been on this quest for some time to find the perfect pizza crust. The reason for this is because I live in the boonies and can't order pizza to be delivered. Well, this may not be the perfect pizza but I will have to say that so far this one is in the lead. It holds together so well and the tip of pricking the crust and sprinkling olive oil on the crust before the first baking made it really crisp and wonderful. I got this off ourbestbites.com and will have to say that I'm pretty darn happy with this recipe. It made enough for two pizzas but since I had made hubby spaghetti already (and I was in the mood for pizza), I split the recipe and made one crust and used the rest to make breadsticks, using their garlic bread seasoning...all I can say is YUMMO! When hubby got home he was excited to have such an array of Italian food waiting for him. I felt like I had opened up an Italian restaurant or felt like Martha Stewart. LOL Can't wait to try more recipes off this wonderful website. Here is the recipe I used.

1-1/2 c. warm water (105-115 degrees)
1 T. sugar
1 T. yeast
1/2 t. kosher salt
3-4-1/2 c. flour

In large bowl combine water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly. Add salt and stir. Add 1-1/2 c. flour and mix well. Gradually add more flour (I used a little less than 3 cups - recipe says 3-4 cups)until dough pulls away from sides of bowl and barely sticks to fingers. Spray glass or metal bowl with PAM and place dough in bowl. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

For pizza

Punch down dough. Spray pizza stone with Pam. Remove from bowl and place on pizza stone (recipes said to put it on a lightly floured surface). Roll out (my pizza roller from Pampered Chef really does the trick)dough to form a circle and pinch edges. Prick the dough with a fork all over. Drizzle crust with olive oil. Sprinkle garlic salt over dough. Bake 10-12 minutes. Take out of oven and spread layer of pizza sauce (I'm gonna try their homemade sauce next time and will give a review of it in the future - didn't have the ingredients), then toppings, ending with Mozzarella or Pizza cheese. Sprinkle with oregano (I didn't have oregano so I didn't get to taste that but will try next time). Bake 10-12 more minutes.

For breadsticks

Prepare dough per first paragraph. Spray baking sheet with Pam. On floured surface roll dough into triangle and cut into 12 strips with a pizza cutter. Roll each piece into a snake and twist. Place dough on baking sheet. Cover pan and allow dough to rise again for 30 minutes. Bake 10-12 minutes and brush on melted butter and sprinkle with the Garlic Bread Seasoning below:

Garlic Bread Seasoning
1/2 c. powdered parmesan cheese
2 t. kosher salt
2 T. garlic powder
2 t. oregano
2 t. basil
2 t. marjoram
2 t. parsley

Mix together and save in a shaker or empty spice bottle.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cyndi Girl! This recipe does look yummylicious! It's making my mouth water just reading about it. Thanks for sharing with us. Hope you had some fun on your snow day.

    ~willa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I'll have to give it a try! TFS!

    ReplyDelete