Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cake - Happy Birthday to Me!

Today is my 59th birthday and I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for that number! I will take every birthday that comes my way with open arms. After getting diagnosed with cancer you certainly have a different outlook on every single day you wake up. You appreciate the good days and you certainly appreciate your physical appearance after going through chemo. Every eyelash that is beginning to grow back makes me so happy and that is happening right now. I look forward to washing my face in the mornings to take a closer look at my eyes and eyebrows. Looks like the eyebrows are gonna be a bit slower. Thank goodness for brow liner. I did manage to keep a thin layer of hair on my head as I was never bold enough to just shave it all off. It looks and feels like cotton...it is just so fine and so white. I have colored my hair since I was 16 so I had no clue how gray or white I would be. As soon as I have enough to color, you can bet that will be one of the first things I do. LOL Oops...didn't mean for this post to be about the cancer but I guess having another birthday, it just took me there. Onto the delicious cake recipe. This is a new recipe for me that I found on the internet and it came from Taste of Home. It is quite delicious! I have forever loved the combo of chocolate and peanut butter and the beauty of this recipe is that you most probably have all the ingredients in your pantry or kitchen. I chose to make this into a sheet cake and it came out really nice. I hope you like it! Enjoy!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Sheet Cake

2 c. all purpose flour
2 c. sugar
1 t. baking soda
½ t. salt
1 c. water
½ c. butter, cubed
½ c. creamy peanut butter
¼ c. baking cocoa
3 eggs
½ c. sour cream
2 t. vanilla extract

Frosting:
3 c. confectionery sugar
½ c. creamy peanut butter
½ c. milk
½ t. vanilla extract
½ c. chopped peanuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray jelly roll pan with Pam. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small saucepan, combine water, butter, peanut butter and cocoa; bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, whisking constantly. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Prepare frosting while cake is baking. In a large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, milk and vanilla until smooth. Remove cake from oven; place on a wire rack. Immediately spread with frosting; sprinkle with peanuts. Cool completely. Yield: 15 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment