Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Guardian Angel Ornament for Ovarian Cancer

Seems like I am always apologizing for being MIA...again, I am sorry for being away so long. That is, if anyone even missed me. Hard to believe it has been since May that I have posted anything. Geez, how time flies! As always, I do stay very busy...love being that way. No one can ever call me lazy. I have had some health issues since the summer. First, in August I was diagnosed with "Colitis" and breezed through that fairly well. Then a few weeks after that I started throwing up all the time and found out I had an obstruction in my colon. Well, on October 2nd I ended up having to have surgery to get rid of that obstruction and while the surgeon was doing that he found I had ovarian cancer. I am feeling quite blessed that the cancer was found when it was as I have learned that ovarian cancer cannot be detected by an annual pap smear...it is quite hard to find once you have it really. I feel very blessed that if I hadn't had the colon issue, this would not have been found. Needless to say, I am having to take chemo treatments and am halfway through them. I will have 6 cycles of 3 which means 18 total. I have again been blessed in that I have not had one second of nausea with the treatments. I don't know how that has happened except I had read to take Ginger Root and I have been doing that religiously. I also can have Ativan when I have my treatments and I take that which is supposed to help with the nausea, as well as relax me. I have begun to feel some numbness in my feet from time to time and that is expected. My tastebuds are all over the place...food just doesn't taste as good as it did but that doesn't mean I haven't had a ravenous appetite. The steroids I have to take sometimes make me feel like I could eat the house. I also cut my hair short on November 6th so that once it started falling out then it wouldn't be so traumatic. Let me tell you, once it did start thinning out it WAS traumatic. Don't let anyone tell you "it's only hair, it will grow back." I didn't think it would bother me much but it did...your hair is important to your look and feelings about yourself. They told me I would start losing it after the 3rd treatment. Here I am after the 9th treatment and I still do have a layer of thin hair. I figured I would be bald way before this. Doesn't mean it isn't still thinning but I can at least do a "comb over." I was pro-active in that I ordered a Raquel Welch wig several months ago but really don't much like wearing it. When I have it on I do look more like myself tho. I just feel so fake in it. I mostly rock out in some really cute hats, several of which were given to me from friends...they are so cute...mostly handmade crocheted ones. Now that I am halfway through treatments I go next week for a CT scan to see how the chemo is working and hopefully get a new surgery date to have a hysterectomy. I am so ready to be rid of this cancer inside me, although not looking forward to surgery so soon. I know it has to happen for me to get better and at least I have kept a very positive attitude through this ordeal. I don't let myself dwell on it, nor do I get on the internet to read about everyone else's bout with ovarian cancer. That was the first thing I did once diagnosed and that was a very bad decision. Everyone's situation is different and I can see how that would bring a person down reading all that. Best decision I could make staying away from that mess. I have been amazed at how strong my faith has become and I know that this is out of my hands...the greater power will have to decide my future. It is in God's hands. I can look around and see others that have it worse than me.

I have four really special girlfriends that I consider my family. They all have been with me through this and check on me all the time...best friends a gal could ask for. We have been friends for 30 years. The minute I got home from the hospital I knew that I wanted to make them a special ornament and this guardian angel ornaments is what I designed and gave to them. I painted the dress a teal color for ovarian cancer...that is the color for it. They were so touched by it. That is the kind of friends I have tho, very giving and caring and appreciative. I love them dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment