Monday, February 22, 2010

Italy one week and Mexico the next...

Ever wake up in the morning and before your feet hit the floor you are already thinking about what you are gonna cook for dinner? That happened to me on Saturday and what I wanted I didn't even know if I had the ingredients or not but I was gonna make it work no matter what. Plus we were having a few people down to watch our precious University of Kentucky Wildcats play Vandy (GO CATS!!!) so I knew it had to be good food. I was craving Mexican. I have this delicious beef enchilada recipe that I think I got off of a can of enchilada sauce. It has been my "go to" recipe for enchiladas. After digging through my cabinets for all the ingredients it takes I didn't have one ingredient, salsa...can you believe it? Salsa of all things. So, I started digging for a recipe to make my own salsa...luckily found one that was EZ and I had all the ingredients for it. Was this a labor of love or craving or what? Made up the salsa recipe and let it sit 4 hours before I used it like the recipe said. Salsa was made before breakfast. You can either use store bought salsa like I usually do or you can try my EZ salsa recipe. I will have to say that the homemade salsa really gave the enchiladas that extra "kick" and some of the comments from my friends were that they tasted like "authentic" Mexican food...best compliment I could possibly get 'eh? Hope you enjoy this!

Mexican Beef Enchiladas
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
16 oz. salsa
1 garlic clove, minced
2 t. chili powder (I think this is the secret ingredient)
12 tortillas
(2) (10 oz.) cans red enchilada sauce (the recipe calls for only one but I love this stuff)
1-1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I usually use Mexican blend or Monterey Jack and cheddar)
Shredded lettuce
Sour cream

Heat oven to 350. In skillet, brown beef and onion; drain. In bowl, combine salsa, beef mixture, garlic and chili powder. Fill center of each tortilla with beef mixture. Roll up; place seam side down in greased 9x13 baking dish. Pour enchilada sauce over tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 40 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with shredded lettuce and sour cream. I love ranch dressing poured over mine, hubby likes guacamole.

EZ No Cook Salsa
2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes (I used 28 oz. can)
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
1/4 c. thinly sliced green onions
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
2 T. lemon or lime juice
1/8 t. pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 t. salt, to taste

Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/4 c. of juice. Combine tomatoes and juice with remaining ingredients. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment